Monday, May 20, 2013

We Got Ice: Run River City Marathon

Yesterday Peoria was host to the FIRST EVER road marathon the Run River City Marathon. Matty and I had been training for this race for about 12 weeks and intended to run the 25K race. In fact we continued to train for it even after I had received my cervical cancer diagnosis and hysterectomy date. Hey, I love to run, so why would I stop just because I can't race?

Race organizer, Adam White, had offered his motorized cart that reclines so I could still be apart of the race and attend, plus Matty was still considering running, however Friday I had a bad day slept a lot and was in pain so we decided it was best to not attend. Saturday I realized that the race routes 2 blocks from our place, Matt agreed to take me and to set up a table with ice chips for the runners. Race day humidity was expected at 80% with temps topping out above 85 and our location was around the 21 mile mark. Plus, it was at the top of a long gradual, climb and just before runners would hit a good decent (we run this route often, it IS in our neighborhood).

Come Sunday Matty totally went all out doing ALL of the leg work/clean up and totally making my day. He loaded up the car (we didn't want to chance me walking/standing that much) with a table, cooler full of ice, got cups, I made signs and even Pippin got to join the festivities.

The first marathoner to come through was Ansel who works at Running Central so I knew him and he stopped at our table and seemed to really enjoy our ice and then continued on and won. As the morning progressed I saw all the runners struggle up that hill, it doesn't look it but its TOUGH, so as soon as I saw them coming I started shouting "its downhill at the corner" and I couldn't even tell you how many times that brought smiles to faces and a renewed energy to their run.

I knew many of the runners and it was so awesome to see them coming up the hill that I couldn't help but stand up and scream! It was so awesome to hear them say thanks for being here, go home and rest, your crazy, I love you, I'm thinking of you, cancer free and my favorite Team RC gal Nida even stopped to give me a sweaty hug. Then afterwards I was told how it inspired them to push on knowing that I waited to see them and then there were two very special women who made sure that I was still running by doing this....

Let me tell you shouting when you've had a hysterectomy takes A LOT of effort and I definitely paid the price as I had to take TWO percocets when I got home. I was pretty  much sore and uncomfortable the rest of the day and night but I'd do it all again in a heartbeat!

PS: I'm feeling my new normal again today and my swelly belly has even gone down quite a bit too!

1 comment:

  1. Knowing you were going to be on the corner, it got me down Forrest Hill, with was the rolling part of that 4th leg. THANK YOU so much for the ice and support!! We'll run together soon! xoxo

    ReplyDelete