Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Six Weeks Post Hysterectomy/Cervical Cancer And I'm Running



Today the Nike Running app on my phone so kindly reminded me that I’m nearing 500 miles on my shoes and that “you’re never finished, but your shoes are.” At first this made me excited because runners LOVE to get new shoes, it’s fun, they are always updating your favorites and coming out with cool new colors. Then I realized that I don’t have one single red cent to my name, cancer has sucked me dry! 


Don’t get me wrong; I’m beyond grateful this was so easily treated and cured and I am now cancer free, but I hate the amount of dept this “small cancer” has put me in. Although it hurts to not be able to enjoy new things, like running shoes, I know it could be worse. There is a reason why I’ve laced up today and am trying to run again, St. Jude! When everything right now is about dollars and cents I’m so happy to know that even though things hard for me, they are harder for these kids/families, and I can do something to help them…and help me. I can raise money, so they don’t have to pay-or go through the financial hardships of cancer. I can run, so they can focus on getting better, stronger and beat the monster that is cancer.  And when I run, not only am I helping them, but I’m helping myself. I am a runner, it’s what I live to do and just doing lets me forget about my worries, even if it’s for just a moment. 

The St. Jude run is 5 weeks away and I’m happy to say that I’m back to teaching RPM (spinning) and on my off days from teaching…I…AM….RUNNING! Sort of, I walk about .75 of a mile and then run the last quarter and repeat and am slowly adding on. Today, I was able to walk a half a mile and then run the last half, no pain…well maybe a little but only in the lungs and my weak legs. But I’m doing it and I hope to be able to run a FULL mile by the weekend or by mid-week next week.

I’m doing my part but I still need YOU to do yours, let’s make cancer run scared, and donate to the run today, all it takes is $10 www.stjudepeoriaruns.org/akinkade

No comments:

Post a Comment