Friday, May 17, 2013

Abdominal Hysterectomy-Cervical Cancer-Post Op

Monday, May 13th at 8AM exactly I underwent an Radical Abdominal Hysterectomy with lymphadenectomy to remove Cervical Cancer. The surgery was a complete success and went off with out any problems my doctor said that he could hardly even find my lymph nodes (for removal) because they were so tiny which is a very good sign that the cancer was contained to my cervix and the operation was successful.

Day 1/Surgery: I was in a TON of pain, it felt like one giant long,deep cramp that wouldn't stop and of course for me whenever I have cramping back pain goes along with it, so I was hurting big time. Every four hours I was injected morphine into my IV, plus given many different other pain medication but nothing was working. It was honestly pretty awful but I had a great nurse who was checking on me all the time, and finally during the overnight they were able to control the pain with the morphine injections. I think the problem was when I was coming out of surgery the pain was in control, which is normal and once we got on top of the pain I was feeling much better. I did try to get out of bed only to immediately ask to lay back down and then a few hours later I couldn't handle laying down and was able to make it to the chair so those were good signs early on.

Day 2: I was really looking forward to Tuesday because at noon I knew they were going to take out the catheter. I didn't even really feel or notice the darn thing other than there was a tube hanging from my leg. The goals Tuesday were to walk three times, to pee on my own and release gas all of which I completed. By Tuesday night I was getting out of bed on my own, so I had a feeling that I'd be going home the next day. They also wanted to get me on a pill regimen for pain, Percocet, because that is what I will be going home with so we started with two pills every 4 hours and it worked very well.

Day 3: I got my walking papers! Woo hoo! I'll be honest I was a little scared going home not really sure why but I was and being home (Matty's place) is so much better. I'm much more comfortable and doing very well on my pain regimen. I take the Percocet and then four hours later I take the ibuprofen 800mg then four hours later the percocet again. I'm also taking Gas X to help with the gas they put into you and bloating from surgery plus I'm also taking a stool softener to make sure I "go" which to this point I hadn't yet.

Day 4: I finally "went"! And although it was uncomfortable it was much relief in the belly and the back! My belly, swelly belly is what its referred to, is huge I look like I'm about 7 months pregnant. I do have a belly binder on, I feel it helps my back and posture. I did try going most of the day with out and ended up having a very painful back so I'll be keeping it on, I think it kinda acts like a security blanket too. Still on the same pain regimen and it works very well however late in the day I do need to up my Percocet to two pill and same during the night but when I take in the AM or daytime I only take 1 pill. The two pills later seem to better control my back pain and help me sleep more comfortably. Plus, I move around much better when its in my system.

Without a uterus yet I still look preggo!

Day 5-today: I woke up today and immediately wanted a shower which I did do on my own, Matty helps me in/out of the shower and has to dry my legs because I can't bend over lol. He's a total jem! But i was shocked at how much it wore me out. I'm feeling really well today, I'm due for my ibuprofen in about an hour and haven't even had to nap yet today but I'm going to lay down here in a minute because I have another visitor coming this afternoon. My goal is to get outside today just to sit in the warm weather and sun, I'm tired of being inside, I need some sun and air.

"You only get one chance to heal right" is my mantra so trust me, no trying to do too much! I'm overwhelmed with the amount of love and support I've received in the past few days, its been amazing! I did a lot of reading and research prior to my surgery so I really expected to feel much worse than I do now, so I'm grateful for that and will continue to take each day as it comes. I'm grateful for my health and fitness background because I know that's a huge reason I'm feeling as well as I do. My body from my boobs down are swollen (why can't my boobs be swollen?) as I said my bell is huge and I have a numbness/tingling in my hips and thighs (that's  normal while the nerves are heeling), it seems I've been spared the gas pains in my shoulders but I do have a lot of back muscle pain but its been managed with all those muscle gel samples I've gotten in race packets.

I knew those would come in handy one day!
So in the morning is when I feel my best, so its very possible that I will be making an appearance at the Run River City Marathon! Race organizer Adam White has offered his little motorized cart that reclines and has a top on it to cart me around and position me comfortably at the the finish line. Matty is a little bit skeptical and wants to think about it a little bit longer but I really think I can manage. If I take the good pills in the AM and just sit on my butt the whole time and go home after he finishes I know I will be fine and I think being outside amongst people and the fresh air will do me good. But he's going to get the deciding factor in the mix. We'll see...


  1. I'm glad that your surgery was a success. I'm even happier at the thought that you have such a positive outlook on things and that you're not letting anything hold you back from your passion. You're an inspiration!