Thursday, June 7, 2012

Kicking My Own A$$

I figured I’d take some time to update you on what I’ve been up to running wise. Since I ran my first marathon I’ve been following a grueling 6 weeks program to help me gain some speed. I set a huge goal for the Steamboat Classic next week, in fact I set the bar so high that I don’t think I’ll be able to make it. :( My goal is to complete the 4 mile race in under 30 minutes even if that means crossing the finish line at 29:59. I’m totally lacking confidence because this training program I’m on is very difficult to follow so I’m always tired, sore and not running as fast as I had hoped. Plus, since the marathon I’ve gained about 7lbs, which doesn’t sound much but on my short body it’s enough to toy with my mind and confidence. I’ve been able to take off about 3lbs of the seven but losing weight is FAR harder than gaining weight.

I’ve only ran one 5k since the Illinois marathon, the Chillicothe River Run For Wellness, and although I placed 3rd in my age group I averaged a 7:40 for my mile and to reach my goal I need to be running a 7:30 and it was difficult to hold the 7:40 in the 5k. I’ll have another 5k time trial this weekend when I run the Tremont Turkey Festival 5k on Saturday morning in Tremont.Then the following weekend, the 16th, is the Steamboat Classic here in downtown Peoria.

I'm still collecting donations to the St. Jude Chicago to Peoria Run, I think $5 would be a great donation and to donate all you need to do is go here: www.stjudepeoriaruns.org/akinkade 
I'm still far from my goal so any little bit helps!

1 comment:

  1. Anna, if anyone can reach thhat goal, YOU CAN! Good luck and have a great run!

    ReplyDelete