Saturday, June 29, 2013

Running "The Mile" Is Going To Have To Wait....

It's so secret that I've been running again, well walking then running, and doing great. I'm slowly adding on distance to see what I can do. Starting small and working  my way up; I've successfully walked/run 800 intervals, nothing fancy just going at what feels good.

A few days ago my boyfriend says "you're ready" to run my mile, so I asked him if he would run with me on Sunday before we go out for our bike ride and he agreed. Naturally I needed to see how I felt at 1200 meters before going for the full 1600 (400 meters = quarter  mile). Turns out running 1200 is too much, just shy of it I start to felt small aches in my belly near the incision, which says keep working on strengthening my core. I'll stick with the 800's for another week and give it a shot next week and see how it goes. I'm a little disappointed but in due time, it will come. I haven't lost any speed, just strength and my cardio has taken a hit, but with everything else that too is coming back. Now, last night about 6pm I did have some pretty intense pains come on. Naturally, my first thought is I hurt something running. I was assured that if I did damage that, the pain would have came on instantly and not 6 hours later, it's more than likely something else. The pain can only be described as a very intense side stitch, like what you get when you run, but wouldn't go away. It got to the point where I was getting nauseous and pretty tired. I eventually ended up taking some pain medication, which put me to sleep. This morning the pain has subsided but I do still feel a very dull ache. I'll keep watching it over the weekend and see what happens, I do have my 2nd follow up with the doctor on Monday.

Speaking of the doctor, my physical therapist says that I'm about 80% to being where I  need to be. She gave me more to work on and she also wants me to print off my intro to running program and bring it to Dr. Hodel. She also wants me to explain Body Pump in detail to him. If he is OK with me returning to those activities she'll support it.

Wish me luck! And show your support by donating to St. Jude, $10 is all it take www.stjudepeoriaruns.org/akinkade

No comments:

Post a Comment