Monday, April 21, 2014

Exciting Day In Boston For Americans And For Some FAST Friends



I was going to blog today about my training and that I made it taper!!! However, I then herd who won the Boston Marathon today and I have to talk about Meb!

This year I have four friends who were running in the race; Bob Swinehart, Jeff Neltner, Matt Eckberg & Ansel Wachter. As of writing this all have finished the race in what I consider spectacular times. Unfortunately Wachter had to drop out of the race at mile 12 after experiencing some calf/leg issues, regardless, I’m so proud of him and all he’s accomplished and he helps sell me my shoes.  When I congratulated my buddie Bob on a spectacular race (3:18:00), my crossfit partner in crime and fellow Viking fan Neltner finished in 3:19:15 and Eckberg around a 3:20 (and he wasn't even "trying" he was just enjoying). They all inspire and motivate me. 

Bob and I before the Steamboat Classic a few yeas ago.

I also have met the winner, not just once but TWICE! The first time I met Meb Keflezighi was in Las Vegas when I ran the Rock N Roll Strip at night half marathon. He’s always been an inspiration to me since reading his book Run To Overcome. I met him a second time before running another Rock N Roll series race the San Antonio Half Marathon. 

Meb & I at Vegas Race Expo.
Meb Keflezighi, who turns 39 on May 5th, finished the race today in 2:08:36, beating his marathon best of 2:09:13 and became the first American to win the Boston Marathon in 31 YEARS!!!!! He finished his first mile in 4:49 and with today’s win becomes the first person in history, man or women, to win Boston, New York (2009) and an Olympic Medal (Silver, 2004). During the race he said he just kept repeating “Boston Strong. Boston Strong. Boston Strong.”


No comments:

Post a Comment