Sunday, June 19, 2011

Record Numbers Come Out To Run the Steamboat Classic

Saturday's 38th Running of the Steamboat Classic was the largest crowd to date, up by 1,500 from last year with almost 5,000 people running in this years fastest 4 mile race and Illinois toughest 15k. I am proud to say I was one of them. Diane Nukuri-Johnson, who's headed to her 2nd Olympic games, took the female lead on the 4 mile race with a finish time of 20:41. On the male side Kenyan Kevin Chelimo easily won the race in 18:02. On the 15k front and the race that I ran Tim Hird from Naperville won the men's side of the race in 49 minutes and 34 seconds and on the woman's front Samantha Bluske from Illinois State took home first with a time of 56:06 which also happened to be the fastest time since 1987!


Saturday's 15k was a dream race for me. Every year I've ran Steamboat I dreamt of doing the 15k but I knew I was overweight and not fit enough for Illinois Toughest challenge. Excuses no more, I am strong enough and I did it in 1 hour 22 minutes and 57 seconds, running at an 8:57 pace and placing 21st in my age group (out of 59). I'll take it! The night before the race I was asked by Adam White, owner of Running Central, to be a part of Team RC (Running Central) so I was so honored to run Saturday as a member of Team RC.

Here is what I love about the Steamboat Classic, although you have some fierce competitors and some world renowned athletes this race is open to anyone and everyone. No matter the shape, the size or the fitness level you can do Steamboat. It's inspiring to see so many lace of their shoes and get out there and do something. Running is once again emerging as a sport and I'm so excited to see other's catch the fever. What I love most is that with running you can only rely on you. You have to say "just another step", you have to say "don't back down", you have to say "pick up the pace" and you have to say "keep going, don't stop", no one can tell you want to do and how to do it, it all comes down to you. Running not only strengthens your body but it also strengthens your mind!

I don't know what is next for me, I really want to do the Main Street Mile but I know I have to work. So I think I'll do the Firecracker 5k on the 4th of July. I can tell you my next big race will not be until October 22nd I'm returning to the Mankato 1/2 Marathon. I'll still be running but over the next couple months my focus is to take a short break from race training and focus on getting certified to be a Body Combat instructor. However, I'll still be out there, I'll still be blogging and I'll still be racing after all I can't let my new teammates down at Team RC. Congrats to EVERYONE who participated in the Steamboat, I want to know how you did so please share your times and experiences and let me know what's next for you.

2 comments:

  1. Nice job Anna! You looked great out there in the RC singlet! I finished the 4m in under 36 and happy with that... but my goal is to tackle that 15K next year!

    ReplyDelete